Women’s Legal Service Queensland (WLSQ) are seeking a dedicated and passionate Senior Solicitor to be part of our team – come and join us to make a difference to the lives of women and children who are experiencing domestic violence.
WLSQ is a nationally recognised, leading and innovative not for profit organisation in Australia. WLSQ provides high quality legal and social support services to women, specialising in the areas of family law, domestic violence, child protection, financial abuse legal protection and sexual assault through our counselling notes protect program.
This role is responsible for undertaking direct client services including providing advice, casework and representation in a case coordinated approach. The role is also responsible for maintaining the Health Justice Partnership Program (HJP) in the Caboolture and Redcliffe region.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- To undertake direct client services, including significant and complex casework and legal representation as required:
- Provide legal advice, casework and representation in the areas of domestic violence, family law and child protection;
- Represent clients in the Family Court, Federal Circuit Court, Magistrates Court and Children’s Court as a solicitor advocate or briefing counsel where appropriate;
- Prioritise eligibility for the services of the domestic violence unit by reference to WLSQ policy, including priority access for women who are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, or of a Culturally or Linguistically Diverse background or have a disability (priority access groups);
- Provide services to women through a trauma informed practice framework; and;
- Performing Duty Lawyer Services in the Caboolture Magistrates Court.
2. To work collaboratively with Domestic Violence unit staff to provide management support to vulnerable women experiencing domestic violence including:
- Providing holistic services to clients of the domestic violence unit, taking into account the legal and social needs of the client while supporting her to obtain safety from domestic violence.
- Develop and maintain stakeholder engagement with key agencies who work with priority access groups.
3. Assist with and maintain the Health Justice Partnership in and around the Caboolture area and other health provider sites as deemed appropriate:
- Assist with the promotion of the partnership(s) and increase use and accessibility of the legal service that WLSQ provides.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders at both the Caboolture and Redcliffe hospitals and other allied health service sites in the catchment and at other health provider sites as may be deemed appropriate from time to time.
- Identify and build professional relationships within the health partnership setting(s).
- Work with health partners to identify and document trends and systemic issues arising from the partnership(s), which may have implications for policy, program or law reform.
4. Work collaboratively with WLSQ social workers and other staff to facilitate the provision of relevant, holistic support and assistance to clients.
5. Ensure that the provision of the team’s legal services complies with the laws and regulations governing the legal professional and the mandatory requirements under the National Association of Community Legal Centres Risk Management Guide and advise the Principal Solicitor on issues relating to operational and/or legal risk.
6. Liaise with external agencies and make client referrals where services are more appropriately provided or should be supplemented through accessing another service.
7. Participate in community legal education and law reform activities of WLSQ as required.
8. Foster a collaborative team culture for staff and volunteers which is professional, productive and supportive and consistent with the WLSQ values and feminist principles.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Eligibility to hold an Unrestricted Solicitor’s Practising Certificate and a minimum of 3 years’ post admission experience in family law and domestic violence is a requirement.
- Demonstrated knowledge and legal practice experience in family law and domestic violence, including drafting relevant court documents and management of files. Experience in child protection and child support is desirable.
- A high level of knowledge of referrals both legal and non-legal that are appropriate for women who experience domestic violence and family law matters.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work sensitively with clients from diverse background including vulnerable clients.
- Well-developed relationship management and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to engage with a range of audiences and stakeholders internal and external to the WLSQ with the ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legal and social issues affecting women, particularly the gendered nature of domestic violence.
- Demonstrable management skills including being able to proactively engage with teams and to address concerns raised by team members in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Demonstrated an understanding and possess the ability to address the discrimination and harassment issues within the workplace.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of the WLSQ and an ability to work within a feminist framework.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to having a meaningful and rewarding career, you will receive:
- Generous leave entitlements with additional paid leave over Christmas and New Year.
- Attractive salary sacrifice options.
WLSQ has an exemption under the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 that allows for the employment of women only within the organisation.
WLSQ also requires all staff to have at least two COVID-19 Vaccinations.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a National Police Check.
To apply for this position, click on ‘apply’ via Seek and load a copy of your Covering Letter and CV.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have any questions regarding this role, please email email@example.com
Applications for this role close at 5:00pm Friday 17 February 2023.