Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women’s Legal Services NQ is seeking expressions of interest for a Solicitor to join its team. The Solicitor will provide legal advice, court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in Townsville and NQ outreach areas.
The position may involve some day travel to identified towns or communities for outreach service and community legal education workshops as required. The successful applications must hold an Unrestricted Practicing Certificate.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
• Bachelor of Laws with minimum 2 years PAE
• Eligible to hold an Unrestricted Practising Certificate.
Knowledge, Skills & Expertise:
• Admission as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court and the High Court of Australia.
• Capacity to provide responsive, accurate and effective legal advice and casework in relation to Domestic and Family Violence matters, Child Protection and Family Law.
• Experience providing legal advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women preferred.
• For non-indigenous clients, demonstrated cultural competency preferred.
• Highly developed interpersonal and (for non-indigenous applicants) culturally competent communication skills.
• Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and to work independently and provide supervision to junior solicitors.
• Demonstrated ability in the use of current computer technology.
• Hold a current, unrestricted Queensland Driver’s Licence.
• Hold a current Blue Card or be eligible to obtain same.
How to apply
Submit a cover letter and CV to the Principal Solicitor, Cathy Pereira at email@example.com and cc in the Office Manager, Cherie McLaughlin at Cherie McLaughlin firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: Friday 15 October 2021
Enquires to the Principal Solicitor, Cathy Pereira on 07 4721 6007.