Expressions of interest currently open.
Women’s Legal Service Queensland is calling for expressions of interest for solicitors to work with us in our advice and case work teams.
WLSQ is opening a new office in Ipswich, and we are looking for experienced family lawyers who are looking for full time or flexible work arrangements. In particular:
• Part time.
• Flexible hours including outside of business hours.
• Work from home.
WLSQ provides assistance to women across Queensland and we have various office locations in South East Queensland including Brisbane, Gold Coast, Caboolture and Ipswich. This role will be based in our new office in Ipswich.
WLSQ is a nationally recognised, leading and innovative not for profit organisation in Australia. WLSQ provides high quality legal and social support services to women, specialising in the areas of family law, domestic violence, child protection, financial abuse legal protection and sexual assault through our counselling notes protect program.
The service is committed to the creation of a society in which woman are safe from violence, are heard and respected, and receive a fair and just legal outcome.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
1. Undertaking the delivery of WLSQ legal services including:
- Provide legal advice, case work and representation in the areas of family law, domestic violence and child safety matters.
- Represent clients in the Family Court, Federal Circuit Court, Magistrates Court and Children’s Court as a solicitor advocate or briefing counsel where appropriate.
- Provide services to women through a trauma informed practice framework.
- Provide legal services in accordance with WLSQ policy and practice and the National Association of Community Legal Centres Australia (CLCA) Risk Management Guide.
- Provide duty lawyer services for domestic violence matters in designated Magistrates Courts.
- Work collaboratively with WLSQ social workers and other staff to provide legal information and guidance and to consult with other staff to provide appropriate non-legal referrals as required.
- Ensure risk assessment and safety considerations are routinely and comprehensively addressed in legal work undertaken providing support, information and advice to clients experiencing domestic violence.
- Liaise with external agencies and make client referrals where services are more appropriately provided or should be supplemented through accessing another service.
2. Contribute to the development and delivery of community legal education and law reform activities of WLSQ as required.
3. Foster a collaborative team culture for staff and volunteers which is professional, productive and supportive and consistent with the WLSQ Values and feminist principles.
4. Any other tasks as requested by the Team Leader.
Skills and Capabilities:
1. Eligibility to hold an Unrestricted Solicitor’s Practising Certificate and a minimum of 3 years’ post admission experience in family law and domestic violence, is a requirement.
2. Experience in child safety matters and child support is desirable.
3. Accreditation as domestic violence duty lawyer is highly desirable.
4. High level of computer literacy including Microsoft Office.
5. High level of knowledge of referrals both legal and non-legal that are appropriate for women who experience domestic violence and require assistance with family law matters.
6. Ability to communicate effectively and work sensitively with clients from diverse backgrounds including vulnerable clients including those:
- Who may have experienced domestic violence and/or trauma;
- With a disability;
- From culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; and/or
- From Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds.
7. Well-developed relationship management and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to engage with a range of audiences and stakeholders internal and external to WLSQ with the ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment.
8. Sound knowledge and understanding of legal and social issues affecting women, particularly the gendered nature of domestic violence.
9. Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of the WLSQ and an ability to work within a feminist framework.
10. Hold an unrestricted Open Queensland Driver Licence.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to having a meaningful and rewarding career, you will receive:
An attractive remuneration package;
Generous leave entitlements with additional paid leave over Christmas and New Year.
Attractive salary sacrifice options.
WLSQ also requires all staff to have at least two COVID-19 Vaccinations.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a National Police Check.
To apply for this position, click on ‘apply’ and upload a copy of your Covering Letter and CV.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.