Many community legal centres in Queensland will have experienced an recent increase in inquiries relating to appeals of decisions of the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA). The decisions being appealed primarily fall into two categories:
- A refusal to grant access to the NDIS
- A refusal to fund requested supports in a person’s plan.
The NDIA’s decisions can have significant impacts on people living with a disability and the reasoning behind its decisions is not always transparent.
In this session, Sian Thomas, Principal Solicitor in QAI‘s NDIS Advocacy Practice, will provide an overview of:
- The key criteria the NDIS must apply when making decisions regarding access and supports
- The internal and external appeal process and time frames for an appeal
- What happens in the AAT and the reports and statements which can support an appeal
- Our insights and how CLC’s can support clients going through an appeal.
Details of the service QAI provides can be found here.