Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are entitled to the same legal rights as the non-First Nations Australians and to equality before the law at all stages of the legal process.
Community Legal Centres Queensland supports:
- The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and welcomes Australia’s endorsement of this instrument.
- The Closing the Gap, which is a call to governments to commit to achieving equality for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in health and life expectancy.
- Raise the Age – campaign to raise the age of criminal responsibility from 10 years old to at least 14 years old.
- Change the Record campaign seeks to end the incarceration of, and family violence against, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Find out more about Change the Record.
Key resources for your organisation
- Access our guide on how to write an Acknowledgement of Country
- Our NAIDOC Week activities guide will give you some ideas on how you can celebrate First Nations history, culture and achievements.
See our range of resources to provide additional information.