Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are entitled to the same legal rights as the non-First Nations Australians and to equality before the law at all stages of the legal process.
Community Legal Centres Queensland supports:
- The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and welcomes Australia’s endorsement of this instrument.
- The Closing the Gap, which is a call to governments to commit to achieving equality for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in health and life expectancy.
- Raise the Age – campaign to raise the age of criminal responsibility from 10 years old to at least 14 years old.
- Change the Record campaign seeks to end the incarceration of, and family violence against, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Find out more about Change the Record.
Key resources for your organisation
- Access our guide on how to write an Acknowledgement of Country
- Our NAIDOC Week activities guide will give you some ideas on how you can celebrate First Nations history, culture and achievements.
- First Nations Employee Network– an informal group established to strengthen relationships within the membership and provide support to First Nations staff in their work in Community Legal Centres across Queensland.
- 2023 Dates of Significance
See our range of resources to provide additional information.
- Writing an Acknowledgement of Country guide
- 2023 Dates of Significance INAL
- Outline for an improved sectoral response in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women
- CLCQ ClosingThe Gap - Conversations Resource
Legal Aid Queensland:
Legal Aid Queensland do not give legal advice on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander rights but have links to external resources.
Queensland Human Rights Commission:
Queensland Human Rights Act - rights for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Human Rights Law Centre:
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples' Rights
Empowered Communities is a set of transformational national reforms for an Indigenous Empowerment agenda.
Information for community service organisations.